Up from the pyramids - an ancient video from the pre-cellphone era.
Due to requests to view an ancient recording which I had stashed on a "private" "only with the link" on YouTube, and YouTube's insistence on keeping it secret, I decided to put a real link to it here.I had no videos of my dance life other than this bad digitization of an old VHS home movie, converted to DVD then onward to superceding formats. This was long before the ubiquitous recording ability we have today. It is like the old Nasruddin story, "the soup of the soup of the soup."
A former student, who shall remain nameless, arranged for me to be filmed by one of her art student friends at a time when I was still very frail after surviving sepsis and in much pain. The first recording didn't work so I did it again. Then, not only did she never get the video to me, she "borrowed", then walked off with, a costume I had spent 80 hours beading. The callowness of pretty young things. I confess to being humphier than Kipling's camel about this.
My favourite part
has always been playing the finger cymbals. I could not seem to embed the video on this page, but you should/might be able to reach it with this link.
Selima's Dance at Julie Rank's Dance Studio Recital 1987
Here is a still photo taken before the show. My goodness. Did I actually wear red lipstick?
No comments:
Post a Comment